Wednesday, February 26, 2014

It is time to plan that garden! Even though it's 13 degrees out!

Last week, the almost 70 degree weather tricked us! I was hoping that we had turned a corner when it came to temperatures and snow for the season. As the month of March approaches quickly, my mind wanders to baby goats jumping through the yard and veggies popping up in the garden. As I pour through seed catalogs, it is hard to even wrap my mind around what needs to be done, as another 13 degree day arrives. So, I will keep trying to stay focused on the fact that there is warm in the near future, and it is time to start seeding some things down in the greenhouse! I will be planting the garden in no time and milking goats in the hot summer sun! I will vow, that I will not complain about it being hot this summer for sure! Until then, I will wrap up in a blankie with my coffee, look through seed catalogs, draw diagrams of the new barn design, and make lists upon lists of everything I will need to do when the cold finally subsides and spring days are ushered in. Since it appears March is going to come in like a snow covered lion here in Indiana, I do hope that it goes out like a happy spring lamb.


For those of you who are planning to garden this spring and summer, It is time to seriously start planning! I am very fortunate to have a greenhouse that I share with my uncle and grandfather. They have been raising vegetable plants and growing produce on a large scale for about 20 years now. 

It is always hard to judge about when certain vegetables need to be seeded and when they need to be transplanted out into the garden. While cruising through Pinterest, I found a few nice diagrams that gives you a timeline of sorts so you can stay on top of your garden and get the maximum yield! These guidelines help me out a lot, as I tend to procrastinate a lot! 

My House My Home and savingdollarsandsense.com each have a diagram you can follow. savingdollarsandsense.com also has a $5 off coupon for Burpee! So, that will help get all those wonderful seeds! I challenge everyone to choose something new to grow this year! I always love trying something new, whether it is an heirloom tomato I have never tried, a new squash, or a funky new pepper! It is always fun to try!


Hope this picture helps chase some of those winter blues away! 
Sending warm goatie vibes your way!


Picture of Feisty Farm Heidi, playing in the yard at 5 days old. Summer 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maple Syrup fun on the farm

This winter we decided to do something that we had never done before....tap Maple trees! We decided to start out small at tap the few large ...